Adress: 61 Zwilling St., Chelyabinsk
Pone: +7 (351) 237-12-74
Head of Department: Elvina Yagnakova
Tue-Fri – 11:00 - 19:00
Sat – 10:00 - 18:00
Sun, Mon – days off
Last Friday of the month – Cleaning day
State holidays are days off in the Library
This department is the largest book depository of foreign literature in the region. Its book stock contains over 50 thousand publications in more than 145 languages, including the variety of languages spread across the territory of the Chelyabinsk region.
Stocks and collections
The book stock of the department is unique in its composition:
• books on all branches of knowledge: economics, politics, history, natural sciences, linguistics, technology, sports, medicine, agriculture of foreign countries, and moreover a rich collection of fine literature – from classics to works by modern writers;
• extensive informational book stock: encyclopedias, dictionaries, reference books of industry-wide and thematic focus;
• illustrated art albums from many countries of the world;
• training and teaching aids, tutorials, adapted editions;
• audio materials, electronic media for people learning foreign languages: educational collections, training courses, training tasks;
• periodicals: Russian-magazines: “ Voprosy Yazykoznaniya” (Problems of Linguistics), “Inostrannyje Yazyki v shkole” (Foreign Languages at school), “Russkyi Yazyk za rubezhom” (Russian Language abroad), as well as magazines and newspapers on social and political subjects, and alo on economic issues in English, German and French.
“Gems” of the collection are
• Encyclopedia "BRITANNIKA" (printed and electronic analogues) – the most complete and oldest universal encyclopedia in English covering all areas of knowledge and the most important world events and facts.
• “The Encyclopedia of Visual Art” is a richly illustrated ten-volume edition on the history of art from the beginning to the present day, which also includes biographical articles about prominent representatives of various artistic movements and background information on museums and art galleries of the world.
• “Great Books of the Western World” – a book series of the best examples of Western thought, which is made up of fine literature, history, science, mathematics, philosophy, ethics, religion, politics, economics – everything that formed Western culture we know today.
• “The Millennium Library” is a collection of more than 250 books donated to the department by the British Council in Russia and dedicated to the transition of humanity into the new millennium. Each volume is a separate work of classics of world fiction (literature).
• “The Cambridge Companion” is one of the most advanced collections of books on research in the field of philosophy, culture, art, and literary criticism. It contains hundreds of detailed essays of experts analyzing various periods of history, culture and philosophy, genres of literature and the works of individual authors written in an accessible language.
• “Corpus des Oeuvres de Philosophie en Langue Francaise” is a collection of works in French that reflects the development of philosophical thought in Europe over four centuries. The uniqueness of the collection also lies in the fact that the books published in the series have never been reprinted even once.
The Library stock contains a collection of foreign academic literature concerning a wide variety of fields: literary studies, linguistics, law, economics, sociology, pedagogics, history, ecology, psychology, medicine, etc. The books are original editions of major world publishers Springer, Routledge, Wiley-Blackwell and Sage, touch upon contemporary problems, contain articles, essays, analytical materials that will interest teachers, academic researchers, as well as graduate students and undergraduates.
The reference literature of the department is represented by dictionaries of the most famous publishers, including the German Duden, Langenscheidt; English Cambridge, Oxford and Longman; French Larousse and Le Robert.
Book exhibitions on various subject areas are organized for readers, which cover current problems of linguistics, scientific and technical translation, methods of studying and teaching foreign languages, global significant dates, birthdays of foreign writers, artists and composers.
One of the collections of the book stock contains publications in the languages of the peoples of Russia, including those who live in the Chelyabinsk region: Bashkir, Tatar, Kazakh, Chuvash, Azerbaijanese, Georgian and other languages. Readers can visit such events as Weeks and Decades of the native language, Days of Slavic writing, Days of the Russian language, cuisines of the Chelyabinsk region people Festival, Days of the city, Exhibitions «Peoples of the Southern Urals» and so on.
The section of the book-stock, called “Russian as a foreign language”, was created to help those who teach Russian to foreign citizens, as well as those who study it in Russia.
Those teaching aids, which contain material related to the acquisition of the necessary professional skills, the improvement of pedagogical skills, advanced training and organization of the educational process, will be especially interesting for -practical teachers.
Foreigners studying Russian can be provided with a variety of books on phonetics, grammar, on the development and improvement of linguistic, communicative and cultural skills in reading, listening, speaking and writing.
There are clubs for English, German, Spanish, French and Japanese lovers at the Department. Anyone who wants to speak these languages at an Intermediate level can become a member of those clubs and improve their speaking skills.
A club is a community of people who want to speak a foreign language and improve their speaking skills.
The main objectives of the clubs are:
• improving language skills;
• development of linguistic and cultural knowledge, including features of speech behavior, culture, traditions of various countries;
• promotion of foreign literature from the CRUSL collections through the holding of Information Days, book exhibitions and literature reviews.
Topics of meetings: selectively
Schedule: every Saturday from 14:00 to 16:00.
Social networks: VKontakte group: https://vk.com/english_center
Schedule: every Saturday from 12:00 to 14:00.
Social networks: VKontakte group: https://vk.com/club48825583
Schedule: every Saturday from 16:00 to 18:00.
Social networks: VKontakte group: https://vk.com/lavelada
The VK group hosts online meetings in foreign languages: https://vk.com/public_inlit
The Translatrium online – translator club holds meetings with the involvement of professional translators, where they discuss the features of translating texts by different authors from different languages.
Online marathon "From a fairy tale to the world" – a cycle of video stories for children #СМируПоСказке, in which residents of the Chelyabinsk region and foreign guests read fairy tales of the peoples of the world.
Watch & Talk Cinema Club – discussion of short films in English via the Skype application.
#DiscoverChelyabinsk – a series of mini-tours around the sights of the city of Chelyabinsk in English.
To appoint and specify your topic of interest, please contact us: in a department, by phone, by e-mail.
The department has access to electronic resources: local electronic databases of the library, including a digital catalogue for the department’s book stock, and external ones: eLIBRARY, Polpred.com, LitRes, and also the Internet.
Search in the Digital Catalogue CRUSL.
The service is provided both in the reading room and in the circulation department, where books are issued home for a period of one month, which can be extended.
Readers are provided with services, including paid ones according to the “Price-list for additional paid services”:
• selecting literature on the topic;
• performance of inquiries in the mode "request-answer" and also by phone;
• contract information services;
• organization of off-site exhibitions, other information and mass events;
• organization of virtual (electronic) exhibitions;
• advising on work in electronic databases, various Internet search engines;
• literature reservation;
• electronic order of publication;
• copying, scanning documents from the department’s book stock.